Sometimes you just need to find a photo as quickly as you can. Sometimes you’re searching for a big subject that has a lot of related images and you’re having a hard time finding the exact image you need.
Finding photos on Newscom typically isn’t difficult. You come to Newscom, sign in, search, find your photo, and download it. But Newscom has included advanced search options that can help you nail down that hard-to-find photo. Today, we’ll talk about the advanced search by date function. You can find other tips for searching on Newscom here.
The time period and date function would be used when you want photos from a specific date range, for example, let’s say you wanted pictures of hurricane Sandy right around the day it hit. If you were to search “superstorm Sandy” or “hurricane Sandy” right now, you would get hundreds of photos of the cleanup effort mixed in with photos of the storm itself hitting. That can make it difficult to find the best photo.
But, by using the advanced search by date range function you can narrow the search down to just the photos posted between the days immediately before and after the hurricane hit. Here’s how:
- After signing into Newscom, stay on the home page.
- Type your keywords into the search bar.
- As you begin typing, a gray drop down menu will appear.
- Look for “Time Period.” Under “Time Period” is a white bar to enter the dates next to “Date Range.”
- As you click in the white bar, another drop down menu appears which will help you narrow down your date.
- If you wanted pictures from within a time frame, click on “Date Range” and you will have two calendars appear. This would be useful if you wanted pictures from right before Hurricane Sandy, the day the storm hit, and the immediate destruction right after.
- Choose the starting date with the left calendar, and the ending date with the right calendar.
- If you wanted an exact day, let’s say the day Hurricane Sandy hit, you could choose “Specific Date” then find the month and year from the drop down menu, then choose the date from the calendar.
And that’s it! Hopefully it wasn’t anything too complicated, and it will make searching for your perfect photos a lot easier.
Check out these posts from FocalPoint:
This entry was posted on Thursday, January 17th, 2013 at 12:40 pm and is filed under Tips 'n Tricks. You can follow any comments to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a comment, or trackback from your own site.